Tuesday, December 20, 2005

"My Grandfather, your Grandfather's brother, was very influential to me. I loved him and listened to him. He told me two things over and over again. One was that the church is about control. It demanded money from his parents who were so poor that they sometimes had to do without food. Your Grandfather also hated the church. The other thing my Grandfather told me was never to gamble. Your Grandfather was a gambler and although he helped his brother – my Grandfather -- during and after WWII, my Grandfather knew that gambling hurt him”. He went on with a disgusted tone: "During the Homeland War (Croatia vs Serbia about 11 years ago), I heard Catholic priests preach that Muslims were bad and must be killed."



Photo of Ante Sharac holding Vanja, circa 1948.

No comments: