Tuesday, December 20, 2005


To Split (10/6)

The bus trip to Split swung along the jagged Dalmatian Coast. Red tiled houses dot the landscape, many with large signs displaying four languages of the word "room". It seems that a large portion of those who live anywhere where tourist go either supplement or rely primarily on room rentals for their livelihood. Some of the homes still have bullet holes splattered across their outside walls, a chilling reminder of the "Homeland War" that ended about 11 years ago.
Photo:http://www.photocroatia.com/GALLERY/photo.php?photo=10915&u=918|6

General Wesley Clark, then Supreme Commander of NATO, who bombed Serbia into submission, is still highly regarded here.

Upon arriving in Split, I park my luggage in a secure zone, and went looking for Daluma Travel where I arranged a "private accommodation" in Split near the Old City which features Diocletian's Palace, one of the most intact and spectacular ancient architecture in the world.

Daluma was within one block of the bus station, and there I met my email correspond and owner of the agency, Stepjan, a white haired man with twinkling eyes and an easy smile. He told me he arranged a room within 200 meters from the hotel in the "Palace" where I would meet up with my friends later in the day.

No comments: