Tuesday, December 20, 2005

One Last Swim 10/17

The next morning, I’m up early to meet Mike and Colleen at their seaside hotel, Villa Dubrovnik, for a proper breakfast. http://www.villa-dubrovnik.hr/

While I wait for them, I stroll over to the veranda off the restaurant which overlooks the sea and a small nearby island lauded for its nude sunbathing, perhaps just 250 meters away. The bola (northern wind) is active and gives me a show. In small ripples, the water was pushed in opposing directions, and then suddenly swirls in concentric circles, deepening abruptly as if a large flat pan smacked against the surface, and then just as suddenly new water rushs in and swirls some more. The bola’s dance with the sea is capricious in form, and I could not guess would transpire next. Well before my enchantment left me, I turn to meet my hosts for breakfast and enjoy a hearty bowl of oatmeal.

The three click walk back to the Old City is along a road and walkway paralleling the sea. The sun is hot. I stroll up to a beach lying below the precipice where I stood and watched the remnants of what undoubtedly would be a packed beach in the summertime; now, only a few diehards enjoy the last weeks of sun and warm water. I decide to join them. I sit on a large rock right next to the gently lapping water, pull my swimsuit from my backpack, wrap a sarong around me for the clothes change, and after absorbing some heat, splash into the Adriatic for what would be my last encounter with that clean and invigorating sea.

No comments: